Creamy Avocado Pesto Zoodles
6 medium-large zucchini
-1 small garlic clove
-1 large handful fresh basil leaves
-1 tablespoon pine nuts (or blanched almonds)
-2 tablespoons lemon juice
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-2 medium ripe avocados, pitted
-¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
-Ground black pepper to taste
-1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a food processor combine garlic, pine nuts, and basil and pulse to mince.
- Add lemon juice, avocado, oil, and 1 tablespoon of water. Process until completely blended and creamy, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If it’s too thick add more water, one tablespoon at a time. Take a taste and adjust seasoning.
- Using a spiralizer create zucchini noodles (always read the directions for your spiral slicer as they vary by brand – I use this spiralizer.) If you don’t have a spiralizer use a regular vegetable peeler to vertically peel long, thin strips of the zucchini. This will form more of a wider “noodle” from the zucchini, like fettuccini. Toss the noodles with the pesto.
- Place the mixture in a heated skillet and use tongs to stir while it cooks, only about 3-5 minutes or till zoodles are cooked and mixture is heated throw. Alternatively, put in covered microwave safe dish and microwave them on high for about 2 minutes.
- Toss dish with the halved cherry tomatoes and mix well.