Chili powder is a great spice blend to keep on hand to add great flavor to a variety of dishes. It consists of cumin, oregano, peppercorn, and other spices and is used in Spanish, Mexican, Indian recipes and more. Chili powder is not to be confused with chile powder, which is ground up chile peppers. This week’s recipes call upon chili powder to kick up the flavor so if you do not have it in your pantry, be sure to pick some up at the store this week to enjoy these recipes!
Challenge of the Week: Balance in our body, mind, and life is so important. This week, work on your physical balance by practicing standing on one leg, maintaining control as best as possible barefoot. You may find one side is more challenging than the other. This exercise is good to exercise is good to train the proprioreceptors in the bottoms of your feet to to fire to help the rest of the body maintain good balance and overall functional movement. Ready, set, balance!
Spanish “Rice” And Chicken
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed ghee, butter, or other fat of choice
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 16 oz bag cauliflower rice
- 1 cup unsweetened, no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Dried oregano, to garnish
- Melt ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for a couple minutes. Then, add the diced chicken, and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Continue to cook chicken for several minutes, until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the cauliflower rice. Season to taste with a bit more sea salt and pepper.
- While cauliflower is cooking, combine the tomato sauce, chili powder, and homemade vegetable bouillon in a small bowl. After the cauliflower has cooked for a couple minutes, add the tomato sauce mixture and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the cherry tomatoes and stir. Remove from heat and garnish with dried oregano.
Mexican Style Beef Cabbage Skillet
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bell pepper, continue cooking another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, paprika and season to taste.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, toss everything well and add the cabbage.
- Cover and cook on medium heat, 8 to 10 minutes or until cabbage is soft.