Guilt Free Party Appetizers.
December has arrived which means tis the season for lots of parties at work, school, home, and more! This also means you will be around lots of holiday treats and high-calorie appetizers and drinks that can throw off your health goals if you are not careful. This year, be the hero at your get-together by bringing an appetizer with amazing flavors, fresh ingredients, and nutrients (whether guests realize it or not!:)) Guacamole Deviled Eggs and 7 Layer Dip put a great twist on two popular party foods that can be enjoyed at the party without regrets!
Guacamole Deviled Eggs Appetizer
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled
- 1 medium haas avocado (about 5 oz)
- 2-3 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp diced tomato
- pinch chile powder (for garnish)
- Peel the cooled hard boiled eggs.
- Cut the eggs in half horizontally, and set the yolks aside.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado and 2 whole egg yolks; discard the rest.
- Mix in lime juice, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, salt and pepper and adjust to taste. Gently fold in tomato.
- Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the guacamole into the 12 halved eggs.
- Sprinkle with a little chile powder for color and arrange on a platter.
Paleo 7 Layer Dip Appetizer
Serves 10 – 12 along with other appetizers
- 2 cups guacamole – (buy pre-made or use your own recipe)
- 1.5 cups salsa – pre-made or Pico de Gallo
- 1 lb grilled chicken, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- Handful fresh cilantro, minced
- In an 8X8 glass dish layer the ingredients in the listed order.
- For the plantain chips slice peel and slice on an angle into thin chips. Heat about 5-6 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Fry the chips 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. You will need to fry them in batches making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
Challenge of the Week: As the Christmas season activities begin, so can increased stress. Be intentional to take 5 minutes during every day to sit, close your eyes, and take slow relaxed deep breaths. This will calm your sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system, lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormones (these are also fat storing hormones!), and re energize you to continue with your day or help you sleep! Ready? Set?? Breathe!!!
Kay Simms, M.S., CSCS, HFI
Professional Trainer/Partner/Fitness Expert