This salad wins the award of the most refreshing side dish ever! The combined essence of fennel and lemon give ordinary zucchini extraordinary flavor in this simple, invigorating salad. Consider it your new go-to side dish to enjoy with grilled steak or chicken.
Here’s another flavorful reason to ask more from your side dishes. Do you really need traditional, grain-filled noodle salads when it’s possible to create a veggie noodle salad like this instead? This one tastes better and is better for you…one bite and you’ll see what I mean.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
For the Squash and Fennel Salad
- 2 green zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 fennel bulb and fronds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
For the Lemony Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fennel fronds, minced
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Use a veggie peeler to turn the zucchini and squash into long, flat noodles. Cut the fennel bulb in half, and then slice into thin half moons.
- Throw the squash noodles and fennel slices into a large colander and sprinkle with the coarse salt. Mix the salt into the veggies and let sit for 20 minutes over a plate. Squeeze the veggies gently to release excess water and transfer to a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients. Toss the dressing with the veggies and chill until serving. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 81 calories, 7g fat, 5g carbohydrate, 2g sugar, 489mg sodium, 2g fiber, and 1g protein.
Spread the word. Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter to your friends, family, and coworkers.