Who needs tortillas or burger buns when we can stuff ground beef right into squash? It’s an awesome, fitness-approved way to eat your veggies and work towards your beach body!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
- 3 Delicata squash (Butternut, Acorn or other similarly sized squash would also work great.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 (4oz) can mild green chiles, chopped
- Fresh chives, chopped (optional as garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the squash and slice each in half, lengthwise. Scoop out all of the seeds. Place the squash halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until tender. The roasting time will vary depending on the size of your squash — the bigger and thicker the squash the longer the roasting time will be.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the ground beef. Drain the pan.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and add in the garlic, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft. Add in the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for 8 minutes.
- Fill each squash with a generous serving of the ground beef mixture. Top with fresh chopped chives if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 245 calories, 13g fat, 9g carbohydrate, 299mg sodium, 3g sugar, 2g fiber, and 22g protein.
Spread the word. Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.